Policy on Internal Assessments for External Qualifications
In accordance with the Code of Practice for the conduct of external qualifications produced by QCA, Balshaw’s is committed to ensuring that:
- Internal assessments are conducted by staff who have the appropriate knowledge, understanding and skills.
- Assessment evidence provided by candidates has been produced and authenticated according to the requirements of the specification.
- The consistency of the internal assessment is secured through internal standardisation as necessary.
- Staff responsible for internal standardisation attend any compulsory training sessions.
Written Appeals Procedure
Each awarding body publishes its arrangements for appeals against its decisions. In addition, an appeal can be made to the School concerning the internal assessment:
- The appeal applies only to the procedures used in arriving at internal assessment decisions and does not apply to the judgements themselves; you cannot appeal against the mark or grade only the procedures used.
- The parent or guardian must make the appeal in writing to the School’s Examinations Officer at least two weeks before the date of the last externally assessed paper of the series.
- The enquiry into the internal process will normally be led by either the Examinations Officer or the Head teacher, provided that neither has played any part in the original internal assessment process.
- The enquiry will consider whether the procedures used for the internal assessment were in conformity with the published requirements of the Awarding Body and the ‘Code of Practice’.
The appellant will be informed in writing of the outcome of the appeal, including:
- Relevant communications with the Awarding Body.
- Any steps taken to further protect the interest of the candidates.
Each awarding body specifies detailed criteria for the internal assessment of work. In addition, the awarding body must moderate the assessment and the final judgement on marks awarded is that of the awarding body. Appeals against matters outside the School’s control will not be considered in the School’s appeals procedure.
* Any pupil not attending an external exam will be charged. Any pupil not speaking in an Oral examination will be charged for that part of the exam.
You can find Exam results for 2015/16 on our results page.