Music Department Staff
- Mrs R Atkinson-Brown - Curriculum Leader
- Mrs D Howarth
- Mrs F Rawson
- Miss C Galea - Guitar
- Mr M McNicholas - Drums/Guitar/Rock School
- Mrs F Rawson - Voice
- Mr C Wootton - Brass/Keyboard/Piano
'Gracias Por La Musica' Concert 2017
You can read all about our amazing show here.
Music Exam Results
You can see the recent music exam results for our talented students here.
The Music Department aims to provide students throughout the school with a rich variety of musical experiences, which combine the three principal areas of performing, composing and listening.
In Year 7 students receive Music lessons twice weekly and once a week in Year 8 and 9.
Students follow a structured course of half-termly projects. Through explorations of both Western Music and World Music, students will develop skills in aural perception, recognition and appreciation of musical styles and cultures. A variety of practical opportunities are built into the projects to develop performance skills in vocal and instrumental music. Students are encouraged to be creative and imaginative through composing activities. At all times, work is designed to stimulate and develop students’ awareness, knowledge and appreciation of the subject.
Aims of the Curriculum
- Successful learners, who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve their best in music
- Confident individuals, who are able to perform, listen and compose safely and find healthy fulfillment from discussing creative ideas
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to an increasing creative society
Balshaw's Awarded School Membership by Music Mark
See this news article for more information.
Please look at the documents below for more information about Music at Balshaw's Church of England High School:
- Aims & Objectives
- Assessment Without Levels
- GCSE Information
- KS3 Music Curriculum Overview
- Useful Links